Small windows are an architectural feature that often present a challenge for the selection of window treatments. In a small kitchen or bathroom, a small window can add a pop of natural light. In a larger space, the bright light coming through your small windows can leave the rest of the room feeling small and dark. Window treatments provide an opportunity to maximize your home’s beauty and flow. So, how do you select the best treatments for your small windows?
Function Dictates Form
Identify what works and feels good about your space. How’s the light? The privacy? The overall feel? Purpose informs style.
Next, decide what feeling you want to create in the room. What do you want your small windows to convey? Soft warmth or sleek lines? A distinct style or a continuous look? Cozy comfort or illusions of height and spaciousness?
Top Treatments for Small Windows that Make a Big Impact
- Hunter Douglas Palm Beach™ Polysatin™ shutters complement any style and offer privacy and light.
- Great for bathrooms & over beds
- Pro tip: Shutters accentuate a window’s placement. Create fluidity with a monochromatic palette on these coverings.
- Fabric hangs across the top of a small window adding softness and style
- Commonly layered with blinds, roller shades, or sheers
- Pro tip: To dress up a valance, choose one with pleats, trim, or more structure.
- Offer supreme versatility: fabric choice and trim details indicate the style
- Pro tip: Vignette Modern Roman Shades from Hunter Douglas have uniform, contoured or flat-fabric folds, and no exposed rear cords. AND they can open from the bottom, top, or middle!
- Classic look for a small window covering with fabric on a decorative rod
- Pro tip: Create the illusion of width by extending the curtain rod beyond the window frame, letting the fabric hang in front of the wall.
- Pro tip: Create the illusion of height by hanging the curtain rod near the ceiling.
DIY to Designer
Whether you’re doing it yourself, or designing for someone else, striking the perfect balance of light, function, and style in the coverings on small windows can make a big impact in a space.
At Design Resource & Fabrics, our designers have the experience and knowledge to help you tackle window treatments for all of your small windows. We carry an extensive inventory of window treatments, fabrics, and designer accents that maximize your home’s beauty and character. Ready to explore window covering solutions for your small windows? Call us or stop in today!